Sunday, May 25, 2008

Gustave Courbet paintings

Gustave Courbet paintings
Guido Reni paintings
George Inness paintings
George Frederick Watts paintings
Mercy upon us! you do not know how to read! Is it really so?" exclaimed Fräulein Rottenmeier, greatly horrified. "Is it possible -- not able to read? What have you learnt then?"
"Nothing," said Heidi with unflinching truthfulness.
"Young woman," said the lady to Dete, after having paused for a minute or two to recover from her shock, "this is not at all the sort of companion you led me to suppose; how could you think of bringing me a child like this?"
But Dete was not to be put down so easily, and answered warmly, "If the lady will allow me, the child is exactly what I thought she required; the lady described what she wished for, a child unlike all other children, and I could find no other to suit, for the greater number I know are not peculiar, but one very much the same as the other, and I thought this child seemed as if made for the place. But I must go now, for my mistress will be waiting for me; if the lady will permit I will come again soon and see how she is getting on." And with a bow Dete

No comments: