Monday, June 2, 2008

Knight Knight Picking Flowers painting

Knight Knight Picking Flowers painting
Waterhouse Waterhouse Narcissus painting
Sargent Two Women Asleep in a Punt under the Willows painting
hassam At the Piano painting
``Painters? Are there painters in New York?'' asked Beaufort, in a tone implying that there could be none since he did not buy their pictures; and Madame Olenska said to Archer, with her grave smile: ``That would be charming. But I was really thinking of dramatic artists, singers, actors, musicians. My husband's house was always full of them.''
She said the words ``my husband'' as if no sinister associations were connected with them, and in a tone that seemed almost to sigh over the lost delights of her married life. Archer looked at her perplexedly, wondering
-105-if it were lightness or dissimulation that enabled her to touch so easily on the past at the very moment when she was risking her reputation in order to break with it.
``I do think,'' she went on, addressing both men, that the imprévu adds to one's enjoyment. It's perhaps a mistake to see the same people every day.''
``It's confoundedly dull, anyhow; New York is dying of dullness,'' Beaufort grumbled. ``And when I try to liven it up for you, you go back on me. Come -- think better of it! Sunday is your last chance, for Campanini leaves next week for Baltimore and Philadelphia; and I've a private room, and a Steinway, and they'll sing all night for me.''
``How delicious! May I think it over, and write to you tomorrow morning?''

No comments: