Sunday, December 28, 2008

Heade The Stranded Boat

Heade The Stranded BoatHeade Approaching ThunderstormL'hermitte La Moisson au Ru ChaillyHeade Hummingbird and Passionflowers
story.
It’s a matter of finding the compelling reasons why something is important to us - enough of a nudge to drive us to lasting change.
2. Focus on Pain
The more I focused on the uncomfortable factors associated with exercise, the less motivated I became, and the more excuses I made to skip workouts - before I stopped completely.
Here are my favorite excuses to justify not exercising:
* It’s hard! I can’t breathe. * My leg hurts * It’s cold outside * It’s raining (I do live in Seattle, after all) * It’s late, if I go jogging, I won’t have enough time to do X.
3. Lacked Motives to Action
should and not a must. “I should go jogging”, I would say , when it’s better to say, “I must go jogging, in order to gain the energy I need”. When something is a should, it is wishful thinking, and we don’t get it done. When something is a must, it becomes a priority that deserves our attention. Because the target was a should, I never gave it the focused attention necessary Although I kept telling myself that I should go jogging, I wasn’t fully clear on why I wanted it. I wasn’t overweight, and didn’t have an explicit incentive to get active. I didn’t have the motives to justify the necessary action Did you know that we will do more to avoid pain than we will to gain pleasure? In this case, the affects of not doing it, was not painful enough to drive me to get it done. In my mind, the pain of doing was greater than the pain of not doing.4. Language, Focus & Priority

No comments: